Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Postal Presents



The purpose of designing the colander is not only to drain pasta, noodles etc. It also brings a about message of "I'm there". Couples like to cook and make meals together, which in turn makes the meal THAT much more delicious and has alot more sentimental value. So by creating this foldable colander I tried to capture that essence of cooking with a loved one. In addition the sender can slip a little letter where the slots in the handles are to enhance the pleasant surprise.
I designed this colander with ORIGAMI as the basis. I believed it is a very convenient method of packaging a 3D form in 2D. I broke down the square piece of material to a very different cutting diagram for too many folds would hinder the "pleasantness" in the surprise. So therefore I applied a tab and slot system along with origami folds. This made the assemblage much simpler than all folds.

4 comments:

Mina Chung said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Mina Chung said...

hi

Andrew Cook said...

i think this idea is a good one as colanders can be very big and bulky and hard to store. i also think it is a good 3d transformation. my only issue is that the colander may not be big enough for large meals and therefore harder to use. good job

Mina Chung said...

hey Warrick, now I re-write comment for your postal present. hmm.. I personally like your concept. I think couples quit like your colander because they can spent more time together. However If I have to suggest you improvement, I will suggest colour and size change. It would be better to have more bright colour such as hot pink and ,as andrew mentioned below, bigger size for big meal. Anyway Well done hehe